ALEX & OLMSTED
Alex & Olmsted (Alex Vernon and Sarah Olmsted Thomas) have been making puppets together since 2010. Alex is a silhouettist and automata engineer and Sarah is a fifth-generation artist and clown. In recent years they have performed at the Kennedy Center, The Puppeteers of America Festival, The Shakespeare Theatre Company, The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, The Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry in Connecticut, and Bread and Puppet in Vermont. Their puppet show “Milo The Magnificent” was accepted into the National Puppet Slam twice and was featured on the front page of the Hartford Courant.
Click on the photo or on this link: https://vimeo.com/194178199
Alex & Olmsted were recently awarded a 2017 Jim Henson Foundation Workshop Grant to expand their show Milo the Magnificent!
Here is a list of the other recipients:
MILO THE MAGNIFICENT
Milo the Magnificent is an aspiring entertainer and magician. Using Vaudeville-era music and suitcases, Milo unpacks his latest achievements in science and magic which don’t always go as planned.
Milo the Magnificent performances:
- NEW YORK CITY: La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club - La MaMa Puppet Slam 2015
- ATLANTA: Center for Puppetry Arts - National Puppet Slam 2014
- ATLANTA: Dragon Con - Late Night Puppet Slam 2014
- BALTIMORE: Black Cherry Puppet Theater - Puppet Slamwich 2013
- CONNECTICUT: Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry - Puppeteers of America Festival Fringe 2015
- CONNECTICUT: Puppeteers of America Festival UConn - National Puppet Slam 2015
- WASHINGTON D.C.: The Shakespeare Theater - Happenings at the Harmen 2014
- WASHINGTON, D.C.: Clown Cabaret - 2012
- BETHESDA, MD: Strathmore - Strathmore Puppet Slam 2013
- VERMONT: Hardwick Town House - Vermont Vaudeville 2013
THE LIFE OF AN APPLE
The Life of an Apple is a crankie that premiered at Black Cherry Puppet Theater's March 2016 Slam. This crankie incorporates hand drawn illustration, shadow puppets, tabletop, and lighting effects to tell the story of an apple. From seed, to tree, to fruit, to unforeseen circumstances.
The Life of An Apple performances:
- BALTIMORE: Black Cherry Puppet Theater - March Puppet Slamwich 2016
- KERHONKSON, NY: Puppet Homecoming - 2016
EL CIRCO DE FRIDA (film)
El Circo de Frida is a puppet film inspired by images from Frida Kahlo's journal. A collaboration with Elena Day, Sharon Crissinger, and Gabriela Fernandez-Coffey.
THE DEATH SHOW
The Death Show is a crankie that was created for Happenstance Theater's first fundraiser, My Heart Belongs to DADA, in Feb of 2013. Inspired by the music of Dead Man's Bones, The Death Show follows the journey of a skeleton who falls in love with a sleeping woman.
OFF THE RECORD
Off the Record is a toy theater show created for Baltimore's Black Cherry Puppet Theater. It was inspired by the Smithsonian Folkways live recordings of Bill Monroe and Doc Watson from 1963-1980.
Benvenuto is a puppet show about a fish who falls in love with a human. The character of Benvenuto was inspired my the sketches of a pipe-smoking fish drawn by my great-grandfather, Fred Zimmermann.